Have You Been Asking of the List Of Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree? Which Is The Best University For Pre-degree Program? Which University Can I Do Pre-degree?
On This Page, We’ll Show You a List Of Universities doing Pre-degree Programme In Nigeria, Universities You Can Do Pre-degree programs, a List Of Universities That Accept Predegree and their requirements.
Before we look at Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree programme let’s first of all look at What Pre-degree programme is all about in Nigeria.
We understand that millions of applicants seek admission every year into Nigerian universities.
The competition is quite stiff.
This background establishes the need for a Pre-Degree Programme that would serve as a platform to equip prospective students for university admission, giving them a good head-start and promote superior studentship in the university.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is Pre-degree?
- 2 Important Of Pre-degree Programme
- 3 Requirements For Pre-degree Programme In Nigeria
- 4 School Fees for Pre-degree Students
- 5 List Of Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree
- 6 Difference between Pre-degree and IJMB
- 7 Can I Gain Admission To Study Medicine And Surgery Through Pre-degree?
- 8 RECOMMENDED POSTS:
- 9 Subscibe To Free Newsletter
What Is Pre-degree?
Pre-degree programme is an intensive coaching curriculum that aims at ensuring adequate exposure to fundamentals of concepts and preparation of eligible students for University admission and a good head-start for University work.
Important Of Pre-degree Programme
- It is generally believed that the Pre-Degree Programme will promote individual self-development and remedy the deficiencies carried over from students’ various secondary schools in the ability to read and write and to receive instruction in order to successfully undertake a university programme.
- Pre-degree programme gives adequate exposure to fundamentals of concepts and preparation of eligible students for University education.
- Pre-Degree Programme is an intensive coaching curriculum to prepare secondary school graduates for university.
- The courses of study which are those of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) subjects include the English Language which is compulsory for all students.
- Students are required to choose three subjects in addition to English.
- The curriculum is structured into contact periods, mostly 2, each of around 18 weeks with hours per week for each subject.
- There is a break between contact periods and one or two weeks of examination at the end of each contract period.
- An overall score higher than the cutoff for choice of course in the examinations and continuous assessment (comprising regular tests, assignments, and the end of Contact period examination) is required to be qualified for consideration for admission into Year 1 of the relevant degree programmes of the University.
- Pre-degree Admission is based strictly on merit and entry requirements and in proportion to the admission quota of the University for the various Faculties.
- Pre-degree programme ensures adequate preparation of eligible secondary school graduates for University work.
- It enhances analytical and independent learning abilities and promotes the intellectual development as well as skills of students.
Duration Of Pre-Degree Programme
Generally, it is always within the range of 6 to 12 months.
Requirements For Pre-degree Programme In Nigeria
Applicants for admission into the pre-degree programme are expected to have a minimum of five O’ Level Credits at one or two sittings including English Language; credits in Mathematics and three other Science subjects for all Science based courses; credits in Mathematics and three other Social Science subjects for all Social Science-based courses and credits in four Arts subjects for all Arts based courses.
Eligible candidates are also screened for admission through an entrance examination.
School Fees for Pre-degree Students
It must be further noted that a Pre-Degree certificate can only be accepted by the institution running the programme you took part in.
Meanwhile, your pre-degree result expires after a year, admission secured or not.
Now that you know what pre-degree programme is all about, Pre-degree admission requirements, duration, school fees, and the importance of pre-degree, let’s now look at the various Universities in Nigeria that have pre-degree programme.
List Of Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree
Below is the list of Universities you can apply for the pre-degree programme.
Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
University of Portharcourt (UNIPORT)
Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
Adekunle Ajasi University (AAUA)
University of Lagos (UNILAG)
Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
Osun State University, Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
University of Ilorin Unilorin (UNILORIN)
Ekiti State University (EKSU)
University of Calabar (UNICAL)
University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
University of Jos (UNIJOS)
Lagos State University (LASU)
Now that you know Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree programme let’s look at some of the differences between pre-degree and IJMB.
Difference between Pre-degree and IJMB
Below are some major differences between Pre-degree and IJMB.
a) Pre-Degree (REMEDIAL)
- The programme runs from Eight to twelve months
- Admission is offered into 100L(year one)
- It requires that you register for JAMB before admission
- O’ level result must be complete before applying for the programme.
- Accepted by just one institution (the institution running the programme)
- Not accepted for all courses (e.g Medicine)
- Remedial Result expires after 1 year
b) IJMB (Interim Joint Matriculation Board)
- It is a fixed nine months programme
- Admission is offered into 200L (year 2)
- IJMB Doesn’t require UTME before final admission as admission is by direct entry (DE)
- IJMB Accepts incomplete O’level and awaiting result
- It is widely accepted by 75% of all Nigerian universities
- It accepts all courses especially medicine, law, and engineering
- IJMB Result expires after fifteen(15) years
- Lectures are A level, thus it prepares a student for university education.
Now you know the list of Universities In Nigeria That Have Pre-degree and their requirements.
Can I Gain Admission To Study Medicine And Surgery Through Pre-degree?
You can gain admission to study medicine and surgery and another other courses through pre-degree in the University you did the pre-degree programme that’s if you pass the course and meet admission requirements.
- Why You Should Not Study Unaccredited Course
- UNIUYO Pre-degree Requirements
- UNICAL Pre-degree Requirements
- UI Pre-degree Requirements
- EKSU Pre-degree Requirements
- LASU Pre-degree Requirements
- UNIZIK Pre-degree Requirements
- UNN Pre-degree Requirements
- How To Do JAMB Regularization 2021
- UNICAL Pre-degree School Fees 2021/2022
- Universities That Accept Lower Credit For Direct Entry